College & Career Center » Concurrent Enrollment

Concurrent Enrollment

Are you interested in taking a community college course?

If so, our local community colleges have created an opportunity for our students to participate in what is known as Concurrent Enrollment. This provides students with the option to take college courses throughout different semesters/quarters at the community college with your high school counselor approval.

Guidance Presentation on Concurrent Enrollment

On this page you will find some information about Concurrent Enrollment, as well as the recent presentation made to students - click on the image below or visit: Should you have any questions, please contact your Guidance Counselor.
concurrent enrollment options


What is Concurrent Enrollment? 

This program allows high school students to be enrolled in two schools simultaneously. Generally, it refers to high school students taking a community college class. While most students access this during the summer, some students may choose to also take a class during the fall or spring semester.

Will I receive credit for Concurrent Enrollment or Dual Enrollment classes?

Yes.  All 3 unit classes or above are equal to 10 high school credits.  Students will also receive college credit.

What costs are covered? 

Tuition is covered but all other expenses such as class materials, books, and transportation are not included. 

Are courses online or in person? 

The type of class setting is set by the college. Make sure to review how the class will be taught in the Class Schedule before registering. 

Is there a grade level requirement?  

The grade level requirement for Concurrent Enrollment is site specific depending on the college.

What are the main differences between Concurrent Enrollment & Dual Enrollment? 

  • Concurrent Enrollment:
    • Classes can be taken throughout the year at various community colleges.
    • Students earn high school credit: each 3-unit (or above) community college course gives 10 high school credits.
    • Students are part of the general community college population, ie. classes are not just for CUHSD students.
    • Tuition is free, however, students are responsible for all costs associated with books and materials.
  • Dual Enrollment:
    • CUSHD has partnered with West Valley College to offer several classes during the fall and spring semesters to CUHSD students only.
    • Students earn both high school and college credit: each 3-unit West Valley course gives 10 high school credits.
    • Courses and units earned transfer to both West Valley College as well as other colleges and universities.
    • Classes are held after school and can be in person at a specific school or meet online. Generally, if a class is held in person at a specific school, mainly students from that school will be the only ones to access this class due to time constraints. If a class is offered online, it is open to all students in the district.
    • There are no tuition costs associated with Dual Enrollment classes. All books and materials are issued free of charge to students.
    • For more information on classes and steps to Dual Enrollment please visit

What are the steps towards engaging in Concurrent Enrollment?

  1. Check Community College Schedule of Classes (Summer term) when available to choose a class.

    • When looking up Summer term classes, visit the school's page you are interested in and look for tabs that say “Academics” or “Programs & Courses,” and you want to search for “Summer Term courses for 2022”. This will give you a list of courses available for the summer. 

    • You can also do a google search and type in the name of the community college followed by "Summer courses class schedule 2022" and click on the tab that gives you the appropriate response.

  2. Must complete community college application online for Summer term, and check your email to receive your community college student ID number.

    • When you click on the school link or search up the community college you are interested in, usually there is an “Apply here” or “Apply now” on the home page. If not, go to the admissions tab and follow the guides. 

  3. Complete Request for Concurrent Enrollment Form and have it signed by a parent/guardian and counselor.

    • Forms are available from counselors.

  4. Complete your college’s R40 Enrollment Form and have it signed by a parent/guardian and counselor.

  5. Forms are available from the community college website and high school counselor - you must have a Student ID from the Community College to fill out the form.

  6. Submit your completed R40 form to your Community College Admissions and Records Office.

Which Community Colleges participate in Concurrent Enrollment?

Click each school's website below to learn about concurrent options.

Concurrent Enrollment Forms can be found at the following websites.
Should you have any questions, please contact your Guidance Counselor.
* Disclaimer: Campbell Union High School District and Del Mar High School cannot be responsible for the content, accuracy or accessibility of external link sites referenced on this web page. External link sites are not supervised by or within the control of CUHSD or Del Mar High School.